Leave a comment

Finsh STRONG in 2011

Cut this out and put it on your mirror, in your car, on your refrigerator...

This morning was witness to a long over-due event.  I sat down and re-visited my goals for 2011.  There are many things that give me a sense of pride, but several that give me an empty feeling inside – as though I’ve failed AGAIN.  At that moment I caught myself and remembered the words of Henry Ford who once famously said, “If you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re probably right.” Ergo, I have re-set some pretty high goals for this last quarter of the year. 

This is traditionally a time when people kick-back, take it easy, welcome the seasonal change and start planning for the upcoming holidays of Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  We could all busy ourselves with the minutiae of our daily routines, but DON’T DO IT.  Carve time out for yourself to accomplish what is important to you.  Is it a business revenue goal?  Personal goal?  Fitness? Spiritual well-being?  Something you want to do with your kids?   Want to fix that hideous spot in your yard?  Then DO IT.  We all find time for what’s important to us.

Like the little train, I think I CAN.  Heck, I know I can, but most of us wear doubt like a bedazzled anvil necklace. Will people think you’re pushy?  Maybe. Will they think you’re too driven? Possibly.  Will you ask a question that will make someone uncomfortable?  Sure, but it may spark a conversation that needs to happen.  Will take you take your eyes away from your own problems for a while to focus on others?  You will IF you understand that helping others get what they want will ultimately catapult you to success beyond measure.

FACT:  In a study at Yale University in 1947, 3% set goals and achieved more and accumulated more wealth than the other 97%, combined, who didn’t.

Here is a wonderful story that beautifully illustrates the power within you:

The question was once asked of a highly successful businessman:  “How have you done so much in your lifetime?”

He replied, “I have dreamed.  I have turned my mind loose to imagine what I wanted to do.  Then I have gone to bed and thought about my dreams.  In the night I dreamt about my dreams.  And when I awoke in the morning, I saw the way to make my dreams real.  While other people were saying, ‘You can’t do that, it isn’t possible,’ I was well on my way to achieving what I wanted.”  As Woodrow Wilson, 28th President of the US, said: “We grow great by dreams.  All big men are dreamers.” 

They see things in the soft haze of a spring day, or in the red fire on a long winter’s evening.  Some of us let these great dreams die, but others nourish and protect them; nourish them through bad days until they bring them to the sunshine and light which comes always to those who sincerely hope that their dreams will come true.”

So please don’t let anyone steal your dreams, or try to tell you that they are too impossible.

“One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men.  No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.” –Elbert Hubbard

“Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” –Thomas Alva Edison

If you have set goals for 2011 and have not yet hit them, don’t lose hope!  You have 3 more months in which to work harder and smarter than you ever have before and FINISH STRONG.   I am touring with this talk and more.  Let me know if I can come by to encourage your group with some practical & fun ideas you can put into practice to FINISH STRONG in 2011.  techgirlpdx@gmail.com

 

 
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: